NOTE:
If you tend to be harder on yourself than others are on you, don't bother reading this
In a search for daily devotionals directed at businessprofessionals I came across this: http://www.cornerstonebusinessbuilders.com/pdf/YOUR-FIRED.pdf
It was the title that got me.
The devotional was actuallyabout firing an employee in a Christian way, which doesn’t apply to me at all.But, because he’s God, I got something out of that. Not so much the words thatcame after the verses, but the verses themselves, & the title.
You see, I have noticed that as business owners, we tend to see ourselves as.. well…the business owner. The boss. I think of myself as my own boss, but never, until this morning have Ithought of myself as my own employee.
Sobering.
I then thought, “If I had an employee work the way I dosometimes, how would I feel about them? Would I scold them? Would I trust themwith important work? Would I fire them?” WouldI fire myself? There have been times since I started my business where Iwould say “heck no, I would give myself a raise!” and times when I would haveto mutter out a “yes…”
Sadly, the last couple of days would definitely beconsidered one of the “yes…” times. I have been easily distracted, given in to mywill to do the more “fun” work & put off doing the not so fun work, I havestarted work whenever I so pleased, lost track of time completely, and have missedevery single deadline I have set for myself. Nay, I have missed every singledeadline that my boss has told me I needed to meet.
I have been a slacker & an idler. I need to fire me.
However, since I can’t fire me (because I’m... me…) I insteadmust give me a stern talking to. I must express how disappointed I am in myperformance, & let myself know exactly what needs to change
Lesson learned: Though it might seem like it sometimes,working for you does not equal working for no one.
Sure it’s a lot easier to understand why you screwed up, butthat doesn't mean you can just give yourself a mental slap on the wrist & an unlimited number of chances before your work is seriously evaluated. Don’t go through your day as if no one you is watching or caring but you. We are all human & we can all slipduring work hours and start to become unproductive, because there is noboss man standing over us, ready to write out our last paycheck. However, we need topretend like there is. Evaluate yourself as an employee at the end of everyday, & every morning start off your work day by going through the things you need to improve upon.
And yes, viewing your work day this way is a lot easier if youforce yourself to only work for a certain number of hours. Because we suddenlyfind ourselves saying “I can spend a moment check Facebook after 5:00, thisneeds to get done now.” Little moments doing stuff like that add up after all.And when the clock is on our back it is a lot easier to pretend that there is someelse who is watching us & who cares about how we perform.
Besides, there is someone else watching.
Sow your seed in the morning,
and at evening let your hands not be idle,
for you do not know which will succeed,
whether this or that,
or whether both will do equally well.
and at evening let your hands not be idle,
for you do not know which will succeed,
whether this or that,
or whether both will do equally well.
No comments:
Post a Comment