Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Oh to live in Pittsburgh...

It is common law, in these parts, that if you are someone who lives in Pittsburgh, and especially if you are someone who grew up in Pittsburgh, you are a Steelers fan. Well, I'm not. And no it isn't because I like another team, it is because I don't like football.

Sure I grew up with kids making fun of me & throwing rocks at me when i didn't where Black & Gold the day after a win, but they would have done that anyway.

And before you ask: No.



I have never found enjoyment in watching people play any active game competitively, or non competitively for that manner. Perhaps its do the fact that growing up, when other kids heard that i didn't watch  football, or another sport, they would just look at me funny or laugh at me & never make an attempt to win me over to watching it. Who knows, maybe if I had some amount of a clue as to why people suddenly start yelling into a television I would be able to join in, but right now it's more like being the only sober one in a room full of drunks (this may have to do with the fact that most of them are).

What ever the reason for my distaste in football, growing up in the Pittsburgh area Steelers Land was never fun come Fall Steeler season. Small groups & church events are constantly being moved around or cut short due to game times, black & gold suddenly becomes everyone's colors of choice through out the week (not just on game days), and on game days about 90% of the status updates on Facebook are about, you guessed it, the Steelers game.

Hearing about the Steelers winning (or losing) has just become an annoyance expected part of Fall weekends. But when I go onto a global networking site, like say... Twitter, and see this:

Well... That's when I start to contemplate just locking myself in solitary confinement for the remainder of the football season...
















But hey, it still isn't nearly as depressing as seeing REASONS YOURE SINGLE.
Though I must admit, it is really comical to see it right above EVERYBODY IS BEAUTIFUL.

1 comment:

Scrollwork said...

Made me chuckle! At last, a kindred spirit in not being interested in sports! I feel so un-American about it I rarely own up to my dark secret. But after Olympic medalist Hope Solo declared on Dancing With the Stars that dancers are athletes, I now have a retort in case I'm ever accused—"I love sports! Specifically competitive ballroom!"