Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

My Mind Monday ~ Vintage Books

Winnie the Pooh 1950 Four book set



I LOVE Vintage Books. If you have ever read any of my profiles you know this. For instance, I own a book written entirely in short hand. And no, I do not read short hand.



So why did I buy it? Because of its history. Because of its character. And because it survived.

Three 1800s Books with Decorated Edges





I mean, come on. It's just paper, string, & glue, sometimes cardboard or leather. All materials that are easily damaged & destroyed, and yet so many are still here, still intact. It's incredible, that such fragile vessels of wisdom & art have managed to withstand the many stresses of time. A feat accomplished by love. Because one cared for the book & all that was in it enough to make sure that it was kept safe through out the years. So that it may one day rest in the hands of their decedents, who now must make a decision that will determine whether this, now more fragile, treasure will live into the next generation, to bring awe about its age,  to the next in line to posses it, or to recycle it, to throw it away, or simply be careless with it. 


I feel a perpetual proclivity to procure a profuse plenty of these perennial publications. 


And you should too. 



4 comments:

healthiersteps said...

Hello Courtney, its so great to see remnants of the past through physical book. So much we can learn from the past, because there is nothing new under the sun!

Michelle
Bloggers and Readers Team

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

Love, love, love vintage books. My collection is pretty small because our house is small, but someday I'll have a real library. A friend of mine collects them to, and we spend a lot of time digging through stuff at one particular antique mall.

Tisha said...

I love vintage books too. I wonder if collecting these books will become more or less popular due to the increase in handheld readers...hmmmm.

OnePerfectDay said...

I have to admit to a thing for vintage books too....