Though I will interject with a poem, or song, or different story when I feel it's appropriate, every Writing Wednesday I will write a flash fiction piece, no more than 500 words, based around an emotion. unlike Donovich's posts I will not be going in any particular order, but rather, I'll be using a random generator to pick the emotion each week. Also, each story will be like a short episode, peering into the lives of the same set of characters, and all the stories will be told in chronological order.
Fun Fun ^_^
Today's emotion is.... envious.
Lets call this...
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
Ellen sighed as he walked away with
her. “She's pretty...” she thought, sighing as she struggled to keep here
halfhearted smile in place. “She’s nice, she's smart, she is actually rather
perfect...” She turned back to the coffee she had just poured, wrapped her
thin, self-manicured hands around the warm paper cup, and, hoping it would be
cool enough to indulge in, lifted it to her lips. Breathing in the steam, she
lowered it with a sigh and glanced at the tiny, white clock that sat just an
inch below the dingy drop tile ceiling of the fellowship hall.
Church was scheduled to start in
just five minutes so she made her way to the sanctuary, keeping her pace quick
and eyes focused in the hopes that any of the prying women, or even any of the genuinely
nice ones, would assume she had some important business for the service to
attended to. Futile she knew, partly
because there were a few who, if they noticed her, would simply not be so
considerate, and partly because she would need to deal with the same problem
once she got to the sanctuary. Service was scheduled to start at 10:00am, but
everyone knew, and took advantage of the fact, that it wouldn’t actually begin until
10:15 or 10:20. Twenty minutes, at least, of faking happy. It’s not that she
was that sad about it, she just didn’t want to talk about it. She knew she
wouldn’t be able to clear her head of it. Not until she sat and rationalized
her thoughts.
When she got upstairs she headed
for the bathroom. It was quiet, and empty. She leaned over the small sink as
she looked in the mirror. Her skin looked pale, and her pink lip gloss, purple
in the unflattering incandescent blue overhead lighting.
“It’s a good thing,” she thought. “It’s
very good… I wanted to hate her. I wanted to find some flaw, something that would
make her wrong for him. That was wrong. I should want him to be happy. I want
him to be happy. She makes him happy. She is pretty, and intelligent, and
sweet. She has his sense of humor, she has his taste in music, and she’s
perfect for him... She is perfect for him.”
She quickly splashed some soap and
cold water on her hands as another woman walked in with her preschool aged
daughter. She began to wander to her usual seat in the sanctuary as she
continued to recite those thoughts to herself, using all her power to push back
the one thought that incessantly fought its way to the front of her mind.
“But so am I…”
Inspiring songs include:
No comments:
Post a Comment