During those days I couldn't help but wonder where the tradition came from. Perhaps merely as an offering to St. Nick, or perhaps leaving them out to thank Santa came about because we were already baking them. And if they were just for St. Nick, why cookies? Why not.. well.. anything else? But how it got started isn't anywhere near as intriguing as why it is continued.
My mother is the one who taught me how to bake. This year, however, (as she says) she has gotten a bit too old & tired to continue enjoying it. So I baked alone this year - for her, for me, and for a few others in my family.
And though I was alone those couple of days, only occasionally accompanied by my fiance, I didn't feel alone while I was baking. I felt the warmth of many memories of my mother & I baking together. I felt the warmth of tradition.
Or perhaps it was just the oven...
^_^
PS: I'm hosting a giveaway this week. Deadline to enter is Dec. 29th 2011.
http://always-becoming.blogspot.com/2011/12/im-so-in-love-with-photos-at-spackle.html
No comments:
Post a Comment